Revenge of the nerd
Here are fifty reasons I am a complete and utter nerd:
1. I spent New Year’s Eve 2000 in front of the computer wanting to witness Y2K.
2. I can html in my sleep.
3. I can’t watch a movie without checking IMDB.com.
4. To me, Steve Jobs is sexier than Brad Pitt.
5. Speaking of Steve Jobs, I can watch the Mac vs. PC ads all day and be thoroughly entertained.
6. Speaking of the Mac vs. PC ads, I think Justin Long is hotter than Justin Timberlake.
7. Magnetic poetry turns me on.
8. I used to write for The Web magazine and got such a kick out of reviewing websites. I especially loved being assigned to the Weird category. The most memorable site I reviewed was the one built by a guy who wanted to document the many ways you can kill a gummy bear. Awesome awesome stuff.
9. My biggest crush ever was Conan O’ Brien.
10. If we’re at a party or an event, chances are I’d rather be at home reading. Unless I’m on my way to being really drunk.
11. Sometimes, I actually read at parties or events.
12. I can’t leave the house with at least one or two books in my bag. Now, thanks to my Kindle, I can walk around with a thousand books in my bag.
13. I walk around with five to six notebooks in my bag. Each one has its own purpose.
14. I got locked out of my house once but didn’t panic because the wifi signal was strong even outside.
15. Attending Macworld in 2007, where Steve Jobs launched the iPhone, continues to be one of the highlights of my existence.
16. One of my biggest dreams was to become a forensic pathologist.
17. I actually enjoy taking IQ tests.
18. When stuck inside a moving car, I count the lines on the road in multiples of 3, 4 and 5. Then I rearrange plate numbers in my head.
19. I was once sent by the newspaper’s publisher to cover a Philippine Social Science Council conference. I was so fascinated by the results of the research papers presented that I actually got goosebumps.
20. I enjoyed studying Philosophy so much that I almost chose it as my major.
21. It’s been my lifelong dream to read an entire encyclopedia set.
22. You can leave me inside a bookstore all day with no food and I won’t complain.
23. I recite the alphabet backwards to prove that I’m not drunk.
24. Whenever I travel, the first thing I ask is, “Will there be internet access at the hotel?”
25. My brother says, “You are a nerd because you read faster than almost anyone else and you type faster than almost anyone reads.”
26. I am planning to create a card catalog for my nail polish collection. I just need to come up with my own version of the Dewey Decimal System.
27. In college, during the height of my blog obsession, I used to write down people’s blog URLs when bored in class.
28. I got such a kick out of trying to teach my grandma how to e-mail.
29. I have a favorite font.
30. I started blogging in 2000, way before most people found out what a blog was.
31. I was one of the first people in this country to record a podcast. It’s horrible, don’t listen to it.
32. Sometimes, instead of laughing, I just think, LOL.
33. I still remember my ICQ number but can never manage to remember my zip code.
34. Tetris can keep me preoccupied for hours.
35. Sometimes, I accidentally write my articles in HTML.
36. The longest time I’ve been away from my laptop is less than a day.
37. I can type with my eyes closed. See, I typed this with my eyes closed.
38. I thought Paul was cooler than Kevin on The Wonder Years. And this was way before rumors that he grew up to become Marilyn Manson spread.
39. When someone mentions java, I never think of coffee. Although I occasionally think of rice.
40. I once attempted to get a full body massage while still surfing the internet. My masseuse was annoyed.
41. I spent a huge chunk of my childhood in our attic, reading Reader’s Digest issues from the 1970s.
42. If someone kidnaps my laptop, I will most likely pay ransom.
43. When I was in second grade, I fooled my eye doctors into thinking my eyes were bad because I thought glasses looked cool.
44. In a hotel room in Paris, I had the choice between free porn and CNN and I chose CNN.
45. I’d like to put together a 5,000-piece puzzle.
46. One of the most intense moments of panic in my life was when I was stuck in Dusseldorf and my laptop wouldn’t turn on.
47. I fantasize about how better things could have been if I had internet access as a child.
48. Sometimes, I judge people based on their Googlability.
49. I have seen almost all the episodes of South Park and Family Guy and yeah, I think Seth MacFarlane is a hero.
50. I actually wrote this list.